If you are anything like I was a few weeks ago, you might be wondering what exactly that means: to have the body be alkaline. I'm learning as I go along but have recently finished Dr. Young's book titled The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health which sheds scientific and biological light on this question.
Essentially-to be alkaline is to be in opposition of acidic-which is very, very bad. Living in an acidic environment has a slew (and I mean MASS PILE) of symptoms including far too many of which I've been living with on a daily basis. The body is not meant to be acidic and it is acid in the body which is the livelihood of disease and discomfort. Symptoms are not only physical, but are deeply rooted within the emotion being as well.
Last week I had a microscopy done which examined my blood cells on a live and dried basis. I've been feeling terrible for awhile now and regardless of the time I've spent ( 6 months) dieting (hay weight watchers) and exercising (I have now become quite the little runner. Something I NEVER thought I'd be able to do) I've still been feeling terrible and my weight does not want to some off. Which is rather troublesome considering this is the hardest struggle I've been battling all my life. And you know, I so badly want to come out of this victorious with my health in hand radiating everything alkaline!
My live and dried blood cells spoke volumes about the environment of my body. My temple. Although I have been a vegetarian since the age of 11 (more than half my life!) and have made several healthy changes to my lifestyle-I still have a lot of "renovations" to do from the inside out.
For example: due to my style of vegetarianism I have not been a regular consumer of cheese for about 2 years. I would eat cheese on occasion, feeling sinful during the act. And I would pay for it in aches and pains up to several days later. Well my blood work was very telling of what a terrible thing cheese is to the body-as we could SEE the effects of cheese build up IN MY BLOOD. A green gooey cloud amongst my blood cells. I wondered HOW COULD I HAVE A BUILD UP OF CHEESE IN MY BLOOD! WHEN I DON'T EAT IT EVERYDAY?! WHEN IT IS A CRIME I COMMIT ON A RARE BASIS?!
The Answer Is: Because our bodies are not meant to eat it-and my body is in desperate need of cleansing and healing.
This was not the only alarming result of my blood work-oh no it wasn't! My blood showed a VAST amount of Candida and sugar! So much dang sugar that some of my cells had given up on life and had mutated into sugar crystals. My blood also showed that my bowels are incredibly stressed out, which was no surprise to me. My poop dramatics were enough to tell me long ago that there was something very wrong going on within my body.
My Symptoms Include:
- shortness of breathe
- dizziness (everyday. For unexplained reasons..since my blood work from an MD showed I was deficient in nothing)
- heart palpation's
- fatigue (understatement.)
- unexplained anxiety
- unexplained depression (I live an incredibly happy life..which makes my next symptom even more frustrating..)
- low libido :(
- reoccurring yeast issues
- poor memory
- sleepy after meals
- low immune system resulting in frequent colds or infections (I've recently had my tonsils removed THANKFULLY!)
- emotional and spiritual disconnection
- Generally having one hell of a time getting involved with life.
The list could go on but that is it to sum.
So WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT THIS!?
For my first month I am on a STRICT (read:awesomely heartbreaking) regimen which is to cleanse my body.
I am eating:
- leafy greens
- all colors of bell peppers
- white grapefruit (which is impossible to find around here..)
- and more leafy greens.
I am not eating:
- Everything else. Including all fruit, dairy products (already practice this minus my sinning with cheese), meats (no problem), nuts (was getting tired of pooping out whole nuts anyway), anything fermented including mushrooms, pickles, miso and tempeh. ZERO carbs (not even the ones I can have in a few months like buckwheat) ZERO sugar.
- Am required to drink 6 liters of water in total. 3 of which are going to be GREEN DRINKS which consist of a variety of Dr. Young's supplements.
- Am required to sweat in order to cleanse my body and restore my lymphnodic system
- Eat my 'dang greens
- Stay away from everything I cannot eat
- Test my pH levels in the am and pm to see how acidic my body is
I'm excited to start my journey into an Alkaline body. Although I know that my first month is going to be painful, I am truly looking forward to feeling better.