Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pumpkin Seed Milk





Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas) are full of magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, iron, copper, protein, zinc, protein , Vit B and unsaturated fatty acids.

It is recommended that vegans eat at least one tablespoon of raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds a day to get their needed dose of all these nutrients. Pumpkin seeds are also an immunity-boosting food and aid in the reduction of cholesterol.

I have never entertained the idea of pumpkin seed milk before, until last Friday when I met a wonderful and very knowledgeable vegetarian woman who does a lot of vegan baking. She told me that her kids (who are now in their teens) LOVE this milk because it's green. She also told me she uses it in her baking, and that it is fantastic to use when making pancakes. Although I haven't tried using it any baking yet (although I have full intentions of one day making a batch of gooey oatmeal cookies and using this milk in them!) I DID make a smoothie with it this morning and YUMMMY. Nuts, in general are really good for having a lot of protein in them..and wowie am I ever full. I took her basic recipe and added some almond extract-yum-yum!

Pumpkin Seed Milk

What You'll Need:
1 cup organic,raw and unsalted pumpkin seeds.
2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
1/2-1/4 tsp almond extract

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and pulse until it's smooth and creamy.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.







No comments:

Post a Comment